2008 Meeting of Experts
This page contains information on the mandate, structure and activities of Protocol V Meetings of experts - an informal implementation mechanism established by the First Conference, as stipulated in paragraph 38 of its Final Document (CCW/P.V/CONF/2007/1), as follows:
"The Conference decided to establish a mechanism for consultation and cooperation consisting of informal meetings of experts, chaired by Coordinators, on issues such as:
- cooperation and assistance;
- generic preventive measures;
- requests for assistance with the aim to connect needs with resources. The meeting should aim at fostering cooperation and assistance between those requesting assistance in dealing with the problems posed both by existing and future ERW and those in a position to provide assistance;
- victim assistance;
- any other relevant issue."
DATE AND VENUE
Wednesday, 2 July
to Friday, 4 July 2008
in Conference room XIX
, Palais des Nations, United Nations Office at Geneva.
The main focus in 2008 of the Meeting of experts was on the following issues, under the responsibility of the respective Coordinators:
- Clearance, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Ms. Dijana Plestina of Croatia;
- Cooperation and assistance and requests for assistance, pursuant to Article 7 and 8 of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. Gyula Somogyi of Hungary;
- Article 4 Generic electronic template, pursuant to paragraph 34 of the Final Document, and National reporting, pursuant to Article 10 (2) (b) of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. D. B. Venkatesh Varma of India;
- Generic preventive measures, pursuant to Article 9 and the Technical Annex of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Col. Marcel Mulder of the Netherlands;
- Victim assistance, pursuant to Article 8 (2), under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. Markus Reiterer of Austria.
The work of the Meetings of experts shall be considered by the Conferences of the High Contracting Parties to Protocol V, which are held annually.
The following papers of the 2008 Meeting of experts are available:
Papers by the coordinators:
۩ Go to Top